India will hope that batsmen will helm their march towards a series-levelling victory over the West Indies with another impact effort in the fourth T20 International here on Saturday.
India might have stayed afloat with a win in the third T20I but Windies still lead the series 2-1, a quick reminder to the fact that the visitors still have concerns surrounding the batting unit.
It was a comforting sight indeed to see Suryakumar Yadav flicking on his beast mode and Tilak Varma chipping in with crucial runs. But India's opening combination continued to falter.
India had handed T20I debut to Yashasvi Jaiswal, resting Ishan Kishan. But for the third successive match, the pair at the totem pole position failed to impress, making just six runs. Jaiswal got out to pacer Obed McCoy in the first over itself.
In the previous two matches, Kishan and Shubman Gill had managed to score just five and 16 for the first wicket to place some amount of pressure on the middle-order.
Whether India will bring back Kishan for this match remains to be seen, but the management will hope for a more potent outing from the openers in a must-win match.
That India do not have a handy bat lower down the order, makes it mandatory for batsmen at the top to deliver. India have deployed Axar Patel at No. 7 to maintain the balance and they might continue to adopt the five-bowler policy.
Having said that, the way Tilak carried the burden on his young shoulders has been remarkable.
The sequence of 39 (22 balls), 51 (41 balls) and 49 (37 balls) might be a presage that the Hyderabad left-hander is ready for bigger stages in his career.
He is currently the leading run-scorer in the series with 139 runs while averaging 69.50.
Suryakumar hinted at a possible broadening of role for Tilak, his teammate at Mumbai Indians.
"We've batted (together) for a long time now. We both understand each other. It was his day to bat with maturity. He is batting with a lot of confidence and he helped me bat well too," Suryakumar had said.
Kuldeep Yadav returned to the side for the third T20I and his performance will certainly add to India's confidence. He had missed the second T20I with a sore thumb.
The left-arm wrist spinner bagged three wickets, conceding 28 runs from four overs.
West Indies batsman Nicholas Pooran has been a thorn in India's flesh the whole series, but Kuldeep snaffled him before the left-hander blossomed.
Overall, three spinners -- Kuldeep, Axar, Yuzvendra Chahal -- gave a good account of themselves in the last match, and India will need an encore from them at the Central Broward Stadium.
In the initial part, the pitch here assists the batsmen but it often slips into sluggishness as the match progresses, evidenced by the 11 wins out of 13 matches registered by the team batting first.
As for the West Indies, they will not want to miss a chance to score their first series win over India after 2016 and will look for a far more cohesive display.
Teams (from): India: Hardik Pandya (Captain), Ishan Kishan, Shubman Gill, Yashasvi Jaiswal, Tilak Varma, Surya Kumar Yadav, Sanju Samson, Axar Patel, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Ravi Bishnoi, Arshdeep Singh, Umran Malik, Avesh Khan, Mukesh Kumar.
West Indies: Rovman Powell (Captain), Kyle Mayers, Johnson Charles, Shai Hope, Roston Chase, Shimron Hetmyer, Jason Holder, Akeal Hosein, Alzarri Joseph, Brandon King, Obed McCoy, Nicholas Pooran, Romario Shepherd, Oshane Thomas, Odean Smith.
Match starts at 8 PM IST.
Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by The Telegraph Online staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.
- He strove to peer about him, but the feeble ray of the
- an absence of two or three hours, had returned, bringing
- ‘And what is he doing? Why does not a limber lad like
- tenanted by a few functionaries whose authority had fallen
- resources were at an end; it must be another's work to
- been spirited out of sight. What can you tell us of her,
- before which stood two ecclesiastics. Voices and footsteps
- until the lost daughter was discovered; he inquired closely,
- Morison had been urging his suit once more that evening,
- anything they told of me than is given to what you yourself
- ‘If Veranilda is in the hands of the Greeks, where is
- postpone an inspection of a certain part of the city wall,
- And thus matters stood when, one hot night, Meriem, unable
- whether she he sought was kept imprisoned here; but, unless
- whole days my dear lord has not broken bread. Since our
- ‘So that is what brought you here? O fool! Think you
- to tell him that she loved him. A dozen times she thought
- in his hands, trust me, he will care little what becomes
- nature to assert and justify itself. Hence the sympathy
- Greek’s indulgent manner; let him not suppose that Bessas
- ‘beware’ for nothing.” They were soon anxious for
- such misery as fell upon him when he reentered his gloomy,
- if so I had willed, have escaped instead of returning to
- servants overhear me. No more credit would be given to
- Morison had been urging his suit once more that evening,
- do was to present himself in the hope of seeing Petronilla,
- He preferred the risks to follow upon her surrender. Did
- among these modern structures. A pillar of Marcian’s
- On went the Eurasian, up to her waist in the flood, with
- troubled by the disappearance of his cousin Aurelia. It
- of man’s tormented conscience.” And I awoke with a
- you will perhaps find less amusing.’ He had lost control
- Three or four inches of water now flooded the cave of the
- conviction. But even, whilst speaking, he thought with
- the Antonine age, which ran across the facade, showed gaps
- Bessas, much as he might have spoken of viewing a horse
- up the steps, depositing her there with her back to the
- audacity of baseness. You hope to poison my soul against
- so as almost to touch the ground with his forehead. He
- marble in many hues, was a superb work of art. But Basil
- his face. A bank of yellow fog instantly enveloped him,
- been possible to conduct a search, he would soon have ascertained
- chiefly to enrich himself, in this respect, it is true,
- ‘Believe as you list, and talk on, for you entertain
- our tents. They were very civil, and offered us a house;
- upon those you hate. But you have overreached yourself.
- at Ravenna, and with: the other Greek generals scattered
- the pavement, composed of serpentine, porphyry, and Numidian
- one of our party was unable anywhere to purchase either
- ‘What is your next question?’ she said. ‘I am at