Seasoned Nandhakumar Sekar enjoyed the most defining day of his football career with a swerving left-footer that ended East Bengal's 1658-day derby jinx as the red-and-gold brigade beat arch-rivals Mohun Bagan 1-0 in a Durand Cup match here on Saturday.
The 60th minute goal also put Mohun Bagan's smooth entry into the quarter-finals on hold as East Bengal can pip them to a last eight spot if they happen to win against Punjab FC in their last group league encounter on Wednesday.
Mohun Bagan, who completed their group A outings with six points from three matches while East Bengal have four points from two games.
Six group toppers and two best runners-up make up the last-eight.
Under Bengaluru FC's Indian Super League winning coach Carles Cuadrat, East Bengal looked much more compact and the forward lineup got back their usual flair with Nandhakumar's international class strike. The former Odisha FC midfielder capitalised on an assist from Saul Crespo from the right flank as he smartly outfoxed Mohun Bagan's India international Aniruddh Thapa with an outside dodge.
Showing perfect composure, the 27-year-old then used his instep to curl one past outstretched hands of Mohun Bagan goalie Vishal Kaith into the far corner of the net.
The win for East Bengal ended defending ISL champions Mohun Bagan's dominance that stretched for more than four years and six months.
East Bengal had last won against Mohun Bagan, a 2-0 result, way back on January 27, 2019 in the I-League.
Since then, Mohun Bagan have won eight on the trot and drew once against East Bengal across all competitions.
It was also a big setback for the Mariners who will open their AFC Cup campaign in four days' time at the same venue against a team from Nepal.
In front of a packed crowd of 50,000 plus at the Salt Lake Stadium, Cuadrat left a visible impact early on as the midfield looked much compact and had the better of ball possession, while the forward pressed early on in a goalless, but thrilling first-half.
They also had the first shot on target from a 11th minute free-kick but Jordan Elsey could not time his header to perfection and Mohun Bagan goalkeeper Kaith had an easy interception.
The attack was relentless and seven minutes later, Naorem Mahesh beat Mohun Bagan defence to set it up for Javier Siverio, but Brendan Hamill came in his way for a key save.
East Bengal had another chance in the 23rd minute when Nandhakumar wasted an opportunity after being set up by Naorem and Siverio.
But it was their goalkeeper Prabhaukhan Singh Gill who made an impression in the first-half with a fine save in the 45+2nd minute, that denied Mohun Bagan the much-anticipated lead.
Harmanjot Singh Khabra fouled and Boumous drilled in a perfect free-kick as a full-stretched Gill jumped high with a confident save.
After scoring the much-awaited goal, East Bengal closed ranks and thwarted Mohun Bagan's every raid.
Manvir Singh and Dimitri Petratos combined to try and score in the 58th minute but East Bengal defence foiled their attempt.
The last 10 minutes played under a heavy downpour as East Bengal managed to hold on to their slender lead.
Cuadrat had a 4-4-2 formation to start off with Borja and Siverio leading the attack, while Lal Chungnunga and Spaniard Jordan Elsey helmed the central defence.
Mohun Bagan too had a similar formation with Ferrando bringing in Ashish Rai, Anirudh Thapa and Armando Sadiku in three changes to his lineup.
While Sadiku and Hugo Boumous led the attack, Thapa was in-charge of the central midfield with Glan Martins. Rai and Subhashish Bose took care of the flanks in the defence helmed by Anwar Ali and Brendan Hamill.
Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by The Telegraph Online staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.
- In the afternoon we paid our respects to the governor —
- ‘I know, too, that you will be no match for the Thracian
- blandly that it might just be safest to send the hair—or
- cause in Scotland, even to form and organize the army.
- a quiet old man, who, in his appearance and manner of life,
- “Very well so,” she agreed indifferently, it being
- do you not? Mac Cailein Mor, Chief of Clan Campbell in
- Mo chridhe. An endearment (literally, “My heart”).
- very slowly northward along the trail that connects with
- “I’ve a wee word to be saying to you, and it is this.
- her thick eyebrows menacingly. The bright eyes rounded
- the sympathy in her voice. She had promised herself not
- his fingers, right and left, and presently found slimy
- And he is fighting for no selfish reason whatever, but
- away with the hair. And I am sure that whatever is happening
- wasn’t at all the reason she wouldn’t be stealing,
- and the land was wooded down to the water’s edge. In
- before it, with various other observances of which he had
- the grimy once-red sash from about her waist and gently
- bent forward on its long neck, and her eyes grew wide and
- the steps again, finding himself now nearly up to his armpits
- her training and experience warned her that it was dangerous
- stronghold would now be attacked, Bessas despatched a body
- “Master Ronald it is!” Marsali clucked, and Fiona crossed
- event in this quiet retired corner of the world; and nearly
- The beauty of the Highlands shimmered around her in pure,
- it was also a chance to ask about Argyll and put off the
- she blurted, quite forgetting to give him a respectful
- than the manners of these people. They generally began
- hire herself as housemaid at Inverary Castle and, as soon
- Kelpie shivered a little, for she knew too well how bestial
- long, they could find no trace of a door long unopened,
- could trust. To them he explained his plans and the rich
- The next few miles were blurred. Kelpie tramped mechanically
- in a ring of laughing and chattering clansmen, and it began
- actually had tears in his eyes. A strange thing that was,
- before. For what was he waiting, or for whom? He heard
- So Basil rode southward, and happily was far away when
- more difficult thing. “Tell me about Argyll!” she urged.
- In the long white twilight she backed down the hill until
- one of our party was unable anywhere to purchase either
- that will have lost all their cunning—such as it was.
- “We’ve no bargain.” Alex corrected her mildly. “I’m
- is Eithne,” she added, pronouncing it “Ay-na,” with
- with stating that they were poor natives of the place,
- the old woman suddenly. “And just as well, perhaps. For
- oak chair, her harebell-blue skirts billowing about her
- from the camp and over the crest of the nearest rise, still
- in which they are here mentioned, expressing their respective
- impertinence, and she having to step over and around him