From his struggling days as a fast bowling aspirant to success in the Caribbean, Mukesh Kumar has come a long way.
Mukesh, the son of a cab driver from Bihar, attended the Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB)’s Vision project in its first year in early 2014. During those days of struggle, Mukesh never gave up, his passion and dedication kept pushing him towards his goal of donning the India colours.
Nine years on, Mukesh, who turns 30 in October, has made a mark in both his Test and ODI debuts in Port of Spain and Bridgetown, respectively, against the West Indies. His performance has given him a fair chance of being a part of India’s next Test assignment, in South Africa in December.
“The national selectors are quite impressed with him, particularly how he bowled on that slow, flat track in Port of Spain. And then in the ODIs too, he has been effective.
“If he does well in the matches leading up to the South Africa tour, he definitely has a very good chance of being there in the squad again,” a BCCI source said.
The coming T20Is against the Windies and Ireland followed by the Asian Games in September/October present Mukesh with more opportunities to prove his mettle.
Making his Test debut on a docile Queen’s Park Oval pitch, Mukesh stuck to the basics and focused on hitting the stumps and pitching it on the corridor of uncertainty. “With the red ball, I would say Mukesh is one of the best in the country because he can produce a wicket-taking ball out of nothing. Not too many have that ability at present,” former Bengal coach-cum-mentor Arun Lal told The Telegraphon Wednesday.
The pitch at Tarouba for the third and final ODI on Tuesday also had nothing much in it for the quicks. Yet, Mukesh made good use of the seam to yank out the Windies top three.
“It appears Mukesh has improved bowling with the white ball too. That goes down to his experience in the IPL (this year for Delhi Capitals). The expertise that has been around him, the high-intensity games and the demands of the tournament have certainly made him sharper.
“Even Dadi(Sourav Ganguly) was saying that Mukesh will do much better now in limited-overs cricket,” Sourashish Lahiri, a member of the Bengal coaching staff, said.
- said that his boys were resting and gaining strength after
- with me, Mr. Kubota? The incident passed, but Kent felt
- I didn't know you could speak Japanese. What are they
- the background; there were a few more red-brick official
- a short time we were surrounded by a large group of the
- hesitatingly, cautiously venturing into a marvelously fascinating,
- the mysterious Orient has come to me a gorgeous Cinderella
- It is medieval feudalism as opposed to modern industrialism,
- which marks the natural boundary of the country that the
- modern garb of the Japanese hosts, their perfect foreign
- but the scene before him seemed to belie it. Was there
- She passed it to him in the shadow of the table. See,
- mist seemed to float above the water. This mist had a familiar
- you will pardon me, Mr. Jones, I think we have too many
- See that cadaverous Eurasian with his Japanese wife? They
- a picture of imagination, a fanciful Oriental fairyland
- either a watch or a clock; and an old man who was supposed
- parts of each other's thoughts. Could it be that what attracted
- the matting. Please take your seats, gentlemen, Kubota
- But no, she was shocked, with quick intake of breath.
- Three or four inches of water now flooded the cave of the
- quaint loveliness of the Orient. The moment of glitter
- have, is another Meiji, some strong, wise directing force,
- had been friends, when Karsten was dramatic and art critic
- or that other infinitely more beautiful flower who wandered
- of course. Would you like to have one? She was laughing
- in Kimiko-san. It was his first experience in dancing with
- young Japan, so I have become a dancing teacher. I have
- pouring into the cave of the dragon through the open door
- are going across to the States, but, frankly, I don't actually
- and passions, in these faintly contoured breasts held tightly
- deep sea. Karsten swept his hand before him. These houses
- and he pulled up short, for, instinctively, he knew that
- at a loss. The diplomat laughed. It is all right. Take
- appeared, drifted in, floated in rather, as if without
- fellow with her is an American boy in some company in Yokohama.
- fit, often wandering along in the great flower garden that
- than forming an equal part, as a lovely and delicately
- is good in it all, this passionate desire for making Japan
- It is wonderful. She clapped her hands delightedly, called
- Into the disc of light, leaped, fantastic, the witch figure
- but the bright sparkle of the manner of the girls changed.
- This is not the real Japan, either. The other was Japan
- is the use of talking. If you can't enjoy the hospitality
- slowly toward the north—he said nothing of the party
- and who often took pains to keep him informed of the spot
- exclusive. They showed acquaintance with only one or two
- was she; what were they, anyway, these girls,—children
- nearly pure Indian inhabitants. They were much surprised
- gray building with the green copper roof; that's the last